Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Light, warmth, fond memories and birthdays


Wonderful and fun thing:

So today's my birthday (and thanks to everyone who found out and who sent me warm greetings).  This photo is a great representation of why it's a joy to be here celebrating my birthday, even though it means we're missing celebrating it with family.

The lady on the right is Sorella Maria Jesus, I think I've already talked about her, and about her accomplice in good deeds, Andrea - Sorella Milagro now - who is the young lady in the middle next to me.  Then come Andrea's parents, who have graciously allowed her to leave home to serve a mission.  And we all know that tall guy in the white shirt.

Andrea has been serving in the Rome Mission since August, but had to come home for a day, to satisfy documentation requests since she hails originally from Peru, as does her mother.  I sent her an email the other day, and she replied asking us to come over while she was here.   Another sister missionary, Sorella Nelson from Logan, was with her; she's taking the photo.  A new missionary like Andrea, she became the surrogate companion while their senior companions are attending a conference in Rome.

Somebody, whether it was Sorella MJ or Andrea's mom, had ordered a cake typical of Prato, as well as bringing a bag of cantuccini from the premiere biscottificio of Prato, Mattei.  I was eating a piece of the cake - anathema in most circumstances, but we'll make allowances for birthdays - when it became generally known that it's my birthday, and Blaine joked about a candle.

So off went Andrea's mom Selene to the kitchen and brought back a pink candle all aglow, and planted it in my partially eaten piece of cake.

That's the story of this photo - with the addition that the candle had to be relit first.  Whenever I look at the photo, it will always speak of fondness that is fostered by time and experience together - over thirteen months now - a warmth of the heart born of sharing mutual testimonies, the little flame a symbol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please pass on your thoughts or questions about missionary work, Italy, or anything else!