Sunday, May 10, 2009

Stand Up - Eve Approaches (Mother's Day 2009)

Truth is, I didn’t get anything out in the mail in time - to my mother, to my daughters. That is a shame, because each one deserves a special wish for a happy Mother’s Day and recognition for how she brings her own precious, irreplaceable touch to the appellation “Mother.”
I was thinking recently, how my mother, Donna-Rose, seems to be taking on angelic attributes without the usual requirement of having to “pass on” to the next life first. She is more truly beautiful every time I see her; there is more light emanating from her, so that even her hair, her coiffure, is transformed into a halo.
Her voice has always had a musical dimension that is uniquely hers; when asked to say one thing about my mother during a Relief Society lesson, I answered, “My mother’s voice is like music.”
I delight in saying that. What a gift her voice has been in the lives of me and my siblings, let alone all the other treasures we cherish because of her: her patient love; her mildness - surely once or twice she must have raised her voice, but I don’t remember it; her pleading, gentle admonishing, always inviting us to come up, to be better, to do more, to reach out, to give, to understand. She was wholly involved in everything we did, our best editor, cheerleader, manager. Though not a "born Mormon," her testimony and commitment were rock solid and valiant.
Mom, if you have ever worried about it (because I know that as a mother, I have), I would gladly, with the breath of kindness “blow the chaff away,” for my mother is, it must be admitted, not quite a perfect person. Just almost.
Next, my daughter, Amy, who, though she insists she just “wants her body back,” nevertheless relinquishes it with fierce devotion to the care and nurture of her four children. Though she is full of fervor for saving the world and its people, she unquestioningly submits herself to the little circle of people that is her first priority, sacrifice of her time and zeal notwithstanding, while still managing to do an astounding deal of good in the at large world. She is virtually indefatigable. Her children are in for an adventure! Her world is a glorious, raucous profusion of glitter and dust, for she is refining and being refined, but always a queen.
Next, my daughter, Tamra, whose constant, pleading faith on behalf of her child is “long distance”, for she is a birth mother. This means that she loved her little one so very much that she gave him away, breaking her own heart in the process, allowing him because of that act, a twice-blessed life in the care of an additional loving mother, and father. He is always, I know, first in her prayers still, and she cherishes hope for the day when she will be able to see and know him, and to enjoy fellowship with his extended family, who is also hers in a very special way. Her love multiplies as she helps other young women with similar stories, and other families with similar needs. She is forever giving in some way or other to the benefit of others, especially to the “strays” of all species. She is a rising star.
We are blessed and privileged to have four lovely daughters-in-law as well, to whom we are very grateful for the love, joys and talents they bring into our sons’ and to our grandchildren's lives, and to ours by extension:
Sara, Andrew’s wife, is cheerful, fun, talented, creative, with seemingly inexhaustible energy. An anecdote: we were visiting them in Florida for Christmas, and I had taken Gabriel, 3, to the park. At one point he unexpectedly took off running toward what I perceived to be a ditch. Afraid I could not catch up with him in time, I called out, “Gabe, stop!” And he did. Immediately. Wow. Sara said that after an incident the preceding summer, when he had almost run in front of a car coming out of a hidden alleyway, she had decided to play a game with him. She would have him run up the hall, and when she called stop, he would stop, for which he would receive big kudos. That "game" translated into safety. Simple, yet phenomenal.
Alison, Jared’s wife, impresses me with her quiet devotion. The girl is true blue. She is happy, happy to be a “domestic goddess,” which is an especially good thing, given that because of the nature of their living situation, she simply can’t be gone from home much. Because of her uncomplaining willingness to “be the mom“, with all that implies, I know that Jared is a contented husband and father. She nurtures and nourishes little Madison with her time and attention, and is always interested in learning new and better ways. She is an artist and a good writer - some of her work adorns their apartment, and her blog is always interesting reading. She is a keeper!
Bergen, Matt’s wife, is a jewel that we almost missed in our crown (long story, but they would be glad to tell it to you if you have a couple of hours). She is a mom-in-waiting, come August. Bergen works with autistic young adults; her willingness alone to have that kind of job is admirable in the extreme, but she does it because she has a huge capacity to love. Little children adore her; ask Andrew and Sara! Or any of the other sibs, for that matter. I have been told many times that she looks like my daughter, which is an inexpressible compliment, for she is very lovely, but I have to say it is also gratifying, for I don’t know if I would have been quite so willing to give Matthew up if it were not so (somehow Matt and I were kind of “joined at the hip” spiritually and emotionally)! She is one hundred percent devoted to the Gospel and to the part family plays in it.
Bonnie, our dear sweet China doll (!), is Benjamin’s bride as of January. Not yet a mother, but with twinkles in her eye. She is a trooper, hanging right in there with every adventurous whim Benjamin can conceive of. She is a teacher par excellence, from all that I have been able to discern, plus, as already mentioned, she is wonderfully sweet, so much so that you just want to hug her on a continual basis, feeling that some of it might rub off. She, too, is a wonder with children, and may she and Benjamin have a quiver full! I can’t wait, on their behalf (well, on ours too, a little!).
As for myself, I remembered today during church, that my patriarchal blessing says that my parents love me with a love that I would only experience when I had children of my own. I wondered, as a young mother, if I truly loved my children as much as I know my parents love me. I don’t wonder any more. I love my children with a true, tried, deep, abiding love. I try to be, today, the mother I was not always able to be when they were younger, for motherhood is like an olive tree, ever bearing fruit, ever deepening roots, ever giving shade, ever standing witness of all that is eternal.
For all that the world might give, nothing in it can ever replace the privilege of motherhood.

1 comment:

  1. i'd like to second all the accolades given here! we are blessed with some choice women! and momma, you know you are one. thank you for seeing what is right in me through what may be wrong. and thank you for lifting my hands when they hung down and strengthening my knees when they were feeble and for still having my back. momma, i don't know how i'da done it without you there!

    ReplyDelete

Please pass on your thoughts or questions about missionary work, Italy, or anything else!