Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Just bits and pieces.



So don't be alarmed when I share with you that I had a heart attack on my birthday, because that's what the display on our little locker door is called.   I loved it!


Along with the birthday banner ("tanti auguri" - happy birthday)


Sorella Euvrard, our director's wife - they're second and third on the left - always makes birthday cakes for everyone.  For me it was chocolate sheet cake with fudge frosting dotted with walnuts - excellent!


Preparing to bike home after an afternoon/evening at the VC.


If you ever talk to a sister missionary on the phone, they may or may not be snacking on the other end.  Notice the three clocks.  They talk to people all over the world.


Not only were we privileged to have our son Matthew and his wife Bergen for a few days' visit, our nephew David and his wife Carrie were also in Rome for a medical conference, and were able to join us - or we them in Positano - on several occasions.  Wonderful!  Matt and David hadn't seen each other for years and years.


You can't tell it, but I believe they're standing in front of the fountain at the Pantheon.  They didn't want to to the stereotypical photo in front of Trevi.


There's a fun shop in Italy called Bartolucci, they sell wooden toys and specialize in Pinocchio.  Of course I would never have needed this when Matt or any of his siblings were little, because of course they never told lies...


When we visited St. Peter's Square with Matt and Bergen, there was preparation for the canonization of 5 saints.  Quite the doings.



This charming scene is in Trastevere, a famous neighborhood where you supposedly can see the real Rome of today.


So anyone who knows me knows I'm a Halloween grinch, but we senior couples decided to "treat" the sister missionaries, so I followed the cute idea of making a "Mormon" cemetery with cups of pumpkin "dirt" pudding.


The dear sister in charge of the Family History Center on the second floor of the VC is Rosanna Magno.  We know each other from when I was a young missionary serving in Bari in the 70s, and she and her family were investigating the Church.  They have done a marvelous work since being baptized.  She brought this picture for me to see the other day.  No wonder people used to squeeze my cheeks!  My wonderful comp was Charlotte Crandall...wonder where she is these days?


Tidbits:

Talked to a wonderful guy from England the other day.  He has left the Church in pursuit of his relationship with Jesus Christ.  Had some great stuff to share with me - I felt maybe this visit was an answer to my prayers.  If he's honestly pursuing that relationship - and I felt that he is - he'll be all right.  Good for him for coming out of his way to see what the Rome Temple site is all about.

Talked to a young couple who were interested in what was inside the temple and why they couldn't just go in.  I showed them the model of the temple, with one side cut away so you can see inside.  We talked about how it's all about eternal families.  The woman said nothing, but her eyes were wide open and I think maybe her heart was too.  

A foursome from Salt Lake City and Las Vegas came in, members of the Church - wanted to see for themselves what all the hoopla is about.  They walked around, we shared a few things with them; then we asked if they'd like to see the twelve-minute video, the one that's only shown in visitors centers, called "The Storms of Life".  It's actually a series of six videos; each begins and ends in the same way, but in the middle there's a story of a current person dealing with current storms of life, who shares personal experiences with Jesus along the way.  Often, when people who just come in with a shrug and a nonchalant "We're members" come out of that video with a whole new depth of feeling and a renewed gratitude.  That's what happened with these folks, at least with the one brother who shared just that with me.  He was deeply grateful that they had taken the time to see it.

My sister Rosemary and two of her children are coming soon.  More family with whom we can share this place, our home, and our mission.  Grateful.

Buondi`.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please pass on your thoughts or questions about missionary work, Italy, or anything else!