Sunday, August 18, 2019

Social Media is Overwhelming

So I have at least been posting on Facebook, but some of my friends don't do Facebook.  I ought to spend more time on this blog...but I haven't been...Please forgive me.  I know I can manage my time better.

We are almost at the halfway mark of our mission.  I marvel to write that; I know in no time at all I'll be shaking my head over the passage of the entire 18 months.  Every day we have marvelous experiences sharing our faith and listening to the experiences and feelings of others.  Every day our testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ deepens, clarifies, strengthens, marvels.

These photos reflect just a small part of all this, but enjoy!


  On the left is just a corner of the  temple, but not too many photos are taken of the chapel/stake center that is also on the temple site.  The whole square is so welcoming and peaceful.


I selected these photos randomly; we love romanesco and artichokes - but right now both are out of season.


This and the next two photos are from the Jewish ghetto, in existence from the 1500s.  Today, it's a happenin' place.  Life is ... ironic.



One of many fun encounters we have at the Visitors Center.  I didn't recognize this sweet lady at first, but when upon hearing I grew up in Hailey, Idaho, she exclaimed "I'm from Carey!"  I knew immediately that she is a Murdock - though her name now is Peggy Merrell.  Our families were friends, and her dad and mine were in the stake presidency together.  Love it!


The next few photos help you conceptualize one of the reasons the temple site is so peaceful and welcoming.  Sometimes when I walk around it, it seems as if even the birds and the bees feel it.







Blaine carries his iPad around all the time - it has a wealth of information and pictures to share.  He also wears a hat outside to protect his face from the sun, having had several small cancers removed.  So some of the sisters went to the Lego store and made a Lego Anziano Hyde, and attached it to our locker in the break room.


In June we had a wonderful visit from my brother Steve and his wife Young Ju.  Here we are waiting for the metro, Rome's subway.




I think he had never had a birthday cake quite like this one!  Yum!

This is one of the best connections yet!  I was leaving the VC and two Asian brothers walked in.  We exchanged greetings and info.  When they told me they were from South Korea, I told them my sister-in-law was also from there.  Same city!  Wow, that's interesting.  Upshot:  they're dear friends!  Boise, Idaho and Taegu, South Korea, meet at the Rome temple!!!



The Italy Rome West zone, last zone conference for our wonderful President couple the Pickerds.  We've know them for two missions.  Welcome to the Smiths, just as wonderful!


On to a couple of fun Blaine photos:  


 his favorite:  pizza cappriciosa


This is how you rinse the shower after cleaning.

When the sister missionaries arrive before we do, they have to wait because we have the keys to the breakroom.

  In July our granddaughter Abbey and her friend Aitana came from Barcelona for a visit.  Too short!  But fun, and such a joy to have her here.



One of the four olive trees on the main piazza.  They are 400-500 years old.  They were transplanted from northern Italy, but there are olive trees around the perimeter of the grounds that are native to the site, and are 150-200 years old.


Children enjoying the puddles after a storm


My pack mule!


We got so tired of waiting for the bus that this is our new mode of transportation to and from
 the Visitors Center!

 


Aidan, Abbey's younger brother, came for a visit this month.  Boy did we have fun!




Celebrating a baptism (third person on the left).  Our friend Valter has come to the VC almost every day for three months.  We all feel a part of his conversion process.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please pass on your thoughts or questions about missionary work, Italy, or anything else!